Monday, July 14, 2008

Engagement Story - Per Waton's request.

I published the brief engagement story of Rob and I on "The Knot" but Rob's best man requested that I provide more detail and I shall here.

My sister was graduating the weekend of May 10, 2008 from the University of Charlotte with her masters in school counseling and I decided that I wanted to go and offered to let Rob come with me.

Rob suggested that we take a three hour detour and head to Louisville, KY to have lunch with Rob's friend Watson, his, wife and there 1 1/2 year hold. As it was already going to be at least a nine hour drive, I was game but I didn't want to make Watson et al have to wait too long if we were delayed.

Rob insisted that it was fine and that he had already checked with Watson's wife and she was also willing to wait for us to eventually arrive.

We decided to meet at Tumbleweeds on the Louisville Waterfront (right near the fire boats!)
I really wanted to have a Hot Brown which is a local bit of toasted, cheesy heaven) but no one asked me where I wanted to go. Lunch was enjoyable. The company was enjoyable. I tried to get Watson's toddler to pull down a steer head that was decorating the wall - unsuccessfully might I add.

As we were leaving, Watson's wife said she had a gift in the car for me that couldn't be opened until my birthday. It was wrapped in what I like to call "Pretty Princess" wrapping paper.

As Kentucky is equally famous for horse racing as it is for bourbon, and Watson, true to his personality, seems to know everyone everywhere, I assumed that it was some sort of special bourbon that was going to be released on May 20th in commemoration of horse racing and because May 20th is my birthday, that is why I needed to wait to open the gift.

What I didn't know until later is that the box contained, rather than a smooth liquid refreshment, my engagement ring that Rob had shipped for safekeeping to Watson's. Apparently Rob felt that I was a bit of a snoop and that I would discover the ring if he did not take the extreme precaution of shipping it out of state. I am really not that nosy or snoopy.

I also didn't know that Rob and Watson had multiple, lengthy, and stressful conversations on how exactly the ring would end up in Rob's possession. As a military man, Watson felt that covert operations, involving throwing the ring box into the window as we were driving away or key exchanges under the table would work the best. I have no clue as to what Rob thought would be the wisest plan.

Luckily, they engaged in the assistance of Watson's wife who is much better as planning covert operations that Watson with all of his military experience and she developed the gift plan. It worked great because I would never open something that she gave me that had to wait. I like her too much. I would open whatever Rob had given me because I don't like surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment