Saturday, December 11, 2010

Things they don't tell you about being pregnant

First, my doctor gave Rob strict instructions to NOT let me read any pregnancy books (What to Expect When You're Expecting: 4th Edition or Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy) as she (and he) were fairly certain I would tern into an immediate hypochondriac (The Hypochondriac's Handbook: Syndromes, Diseases, and Ailments that Probably Should Have Killed You By Now). It is probably is a very wise decision on both accounts despite the fact that now I am completely unaware of what symptoms I should be experiencing so I now am forced to watch  16 & Pregnant to gain all my baby/pregnancy knowledge.  Rob recently decided that the show was banned from our house.  Good thing he doesn't know how to turn on parental controls (BOB - Screen Time Manager - Manage Your TV Time).

Now that we are about 30 weeks along, I have noticed some disturbing pregnancy items:  sharing space in the tummy is very uncomfortable when you need to use the restroom (Reliance Products Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet).  This is especially true when the baby has it in his/her mind to roll and twist about.  I guess sharing bathroom space now will prepare me for not being able to go to the bathroom alone for the next 8 years...

Another thing I wasn't aware of was truly how many times the doctor would need to see me due to my gestational diabetes (Gestational Diabetes: What to Expect).  I am going two times every week for nonstress test heart monitoring and having ultrasounds done weekly to measure the baby in the belly size.  Luckily, my real work (Lexis-Nexis) doesn't start until the afternoon and I can schedule my appointments around my teaching/directing job.  Yeah, working two jobs does NOT make my doctor very happy at all.  I am trying to convince her that I gives me better time management (Secrets Of Time Management Your Mom Never Told You !) and it will create a more well-rounded pregnancy...So far so good.

Unfortunately, the one aspect of pregnancy that I was looking forward to was cravings (The Craving Cure: Break the Hold Carbs and Sweets Have on Your Life) which I haven't had although Rob will tell you all I want is NC Style BBQ Pork (Wells Hog Heaven Barbecue Sauce) with vinegar style sauce and he is probably right.  I guess I don't think of a desire to consume a pound a week of barbecue pork as a craving.  I think of ice cream and pickles as a craving.

Otherwise, we are stumbling through the beginning stages of parenthood without too many deviations from the road map.  We are creating quite a stir because we have decided to wait to until the baby is here to find out the sex (Intelligender Gender Prediction Test Kit) of Hannahbert (the name bestowed on the baby by a coworker).  While it might cause clothing shopping issues, we are comfortable in our decision to wait.

Until our next new baby discovery...

1 comment:

  1. Too funny Hannah, I was the same way! No books in our house...and 13 and Pregnant? No, I was addicted to Baby Stories on TLC or something! Let's just say my over-active imagination is both a blessing AND a curse! Glad that you guys are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete