Thursday, July 14, 2011

Invincible Grandparents

Do you remember when you were little and you thought that your grandparents were invincible?

We just got back from a trip to see my grandmother (Hannabert's Great Grandmother) in the Great North.  She was quite taken with Hannabert (not that I am biased, but who isn't?) and couldn't wait to hold him.

Unfortunately, she had recently fallen down a flight of stairs and had a set of broken ribs and a broken collar bone (opposite sides of the body).  I guess I never thought about my grandmother aging even though I have obviously grown up and gotten married.  I still see her as the grandmother with the acre of house garden, flower gardens, and the ability to make the best salad from fresh from the garden lettuce (she watched over me while I made the salad this time).

What struck me so much about this visit is how much she is still the very same person I remember from growing up.  It made me feel like I didn't spend enough time with her when I was little and I want to make sure that Hannabert does spend nice long weeks with his grandparents so that they can teach him all the neat things that they know.

On our last day of our visit, Grandma was able to hold Hannabert.  It made me realize how lucky I am to have a grandmother who is able to hold my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment