Thursday, March 01, 2012

Hannabert's gift to our next child

No, I am not pregnant (and because we made a bad choice in our health insurance, I cannot get pregnant until next year).  I did, however, find the coolest site for a sibling to make a gift for a little sibling:  a design your own romper kit.

Now, it does seem a bit costly BUT Hannabert does have crafty grandmas (yes, in both senses of the words).  In fact, when my mother taught full time, she had her students create fabric for her to make a dress.  It is a gorgeous, block style piece with each student contributing a square.  It has a lot of stick figures.  I believe she also had then make a batik print dress so I know that she will be able to help Hannabert make fabric.

There are a number of places where you can get customized fabric.  Spoonflower is one of the fabric stores with whom I have worked in the past.  They have a great variety of pre-printed fabric and can do custom fabric at a realatively reasonable price.  Plus, they are Durham, NC based which is near my parents home.  They will print on a variety of fabrics, including organic cotton sateen.

There are, of course, other ways to make fabric besides ditigal printing: batik, embrodiery, fabric paint, etc and I think that what method we select will depend on Hannabert's age at the time.

As far as sewing, both my mom and Horn's mom are fabulous sewers.  Horn's mom worked for years at Cincinnati's best fabric store (which meant she new the best tailors for wedding dresses so mine fit like a dream).  I know both of them will be able to assist Hannabert in helping make his sibling's gift.

Just the thought makes me excited for a little one (in the future as right now I would really like to be able to get a solid 6 hrs of sleep in).

No comments:

Post a Comment