Friday, June 14, 2013

7 Takes, Vol. 2013, Part 17

7 takes with the crew at ConversionDiary!

1.  Was I last to hear about fetal cells being used to test flavors? One of my students brought it to my attention in class the other day when she asked what agency approved of this.  The SEC knew about the relationship due to a 10k filing in 2011

2. I was a huge fan of LOOKING at paperdolls but not really playing with them.  I have vague memories of not being allowed to use scissors (because I would routinely use them to chop holes in clothing that I didn't like in an attempt to force my mom to buy me some new clothings - FYI, didn't work; she just patched the holes). I saw these on Cool Mom Picks and said, "I really DO want to play with paper dolls!"





3.  Hannabert truly thinks he is an adult. Check out his made PB sandwich skills. Apparently he and Horn eat PBJ sandwiches at night when I am not home. Does that make me the worst mama/wife mom ever for not leaving meals ready for them to eat?






4. The toddler, after spending THREE hours playing at the splash park next to our current house in balmy 70is weather, literally turned blue. We enticed him home by promises of ice cream.  Little did I know that he knows the difference between ice cream and frozen fuit icy pop things.  Speaking of that, have you tried Mott's Freezer Pops? We pick outs up at the dollar store. No added sugar, based on apple juice with "natural flavors" (which now makes me nervous because of #1). Much sobbing and destruction of childhood happiness occurred.


5.  So it looks like our house purchase is a go....Very very nervous. The seller isn't happy because we have an extremely thorough inspection which is resulting in him having to install a radon abatement system AND a new chimney from roofline up in addition to fixing electrical issues.

6. We need paint advice...Any thoughts as to brands that are great? We loved Benjamin Moore paint when we painted our first bedroom but the cost was a bit 'gasp!"

7. Please keep my grandmother in your prayers. She is having some surgery in a week or so. At 93, any surgery bears some risk.

14 comments:

  1. We always use the Lowes Valspar brand. we've done interior and exterior and have been very happy. Price is good too and they can match colors with a swatch too. Don't pay the price of Benji Moore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't used Valspar before although I did do process improvement before law school fro Grady White Boats and Valspar was the only boat paint they used on the hulls because it doesn't fade quickly.

      Delete
  2. This was a great read :). I would not have expected a toddler to know the difference between various types of frozen stuff either! lol. And man, I never even thought of cutting up my clothes to get new ones!! so creative! hahahaha :D Prayers for your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish the toddler didn't know the difference. Ruining clothing didn't work so I would caution against it...

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to get some of the Mott's freezer pops for my husband!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really like them. The size at the dollar store were smaller than the kind you can get at a larger grocery store but you get THREE of them so I know that toddler feels like he has hit the jackpot when we let him have so many. They only have 15g of sugar in the dollar store size per pop so that is a huge win for my diabetic husband.

      Delete
  4. Oh paint- my dad SWEARS by Sherwin Williams. So that's what we used. And I'm pretty sure painting our house cost more than buying our house lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo, congrats on your house! We are just renting still, but it'll be heckuva lot better to be in a house rather than an apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renting a house is a great transition into owning a house! We decided to purchase when it looked like a move that was more central to my husband's new job and my current job would result in rental home prices that were 1.5x HIGHER than a mortgage payment.

      Delete
  6. #1: Possibly. PepsiCo just stopped using them.

    #3: That's adorable. I think PBJ's are just fine for dinner as long as your husband and Hannabert are fine with eating them. Peanut butter is a good protein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband and Hannabert are more than fine with PBJ. Plus, we do whole wheat bread and spreadable fruit so I know that there isn't too much BAD in them.

      Delete
  7. Behr paint! I think it's cheaper and it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used Behr Paint in our bathroom in our old house. There were coverage issue but that may have been to the mint paint the bathroom was prior. We did the primer/pain in 1 - is that what you use?

      Delete