Tuesday, October 01, 2013

October Unprocessed Food Challenge - Working Family - First Meal of the Day

October Unprocessed 2013

I work, my husband works, my toddler even will help out around the  house. It is hard to create easy, fast, and healthy foods. The 2013 October Unprocessed Challenge is a great way for me to take a harder look at what we eat and hopefully make some changes for the better. 

This is especially true in the mornings as we (the adults) are stumbling out of bed and getting ready for the days ahead of us.  The toddler has it pretty easy in the morning.

We find, because of our schedules, we need to eat in the car and typically require something with caffeine in it. For whatever reason, I can't stomach tea first thing in the morning although I do like it.  

Change in Eating #1
So, for this challenge, I endeavor that we will replace our coffee (full of pasteurized cream and sugar substitutes) with something else at least 4x during the month. I think that this is a realistic goal. Something that I can manage in the morning for both of us.

Luckily, I have a great steam kettle and a bunch of flavorful teas. Oh, and i have a Keurig with a reusable pod which makes a great cup of tea.

Change in Eating #2
Besides coffee, I usually do a bagel with cream cheese for us. Check out the ingredients. Insane! I actually have a taste aversion to locust bean and guar gum (I literally can taste it in yogurt). I might go ahead and try to make my own cream cheese. I have thought about making my own bagels again (I tried it once when I was in high school and it didn't turn out very well). I think that it might be fun to try it again and involve our toddler. 

Change in Eating #3
Sometimes the toddler is awake in the morning and wants something to eat in the car. Typically he gets 1/2 my bagel or a PB&J Sandwich. As I recently purchases reusable pouches, I will try to give him some healthier pouch options in addition/alternative to his usual breakfast fare. 

For other items that meet the "real food" challenge, here is a great list by Reader's Digest (always read the label as food is constantly "improving").

No comments:

Post a Comment